Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Why the Sponges...?

Ok so, today I received my first ever request for a blog post and tho it was totally tongue in cheek and probably better suited for my Living Life on Octane blog that has yet to be created, I will honor the request and write it here.

So the request was, ' I want you to write a blog post on why you have sponges in your AO top!' ('LMAO!' Deleted) Ok so, if any of you have seen my Google+ picture, you will know what my reader is talking about. I will include it here for those of you that have not seen it.



This picture was taken at the top of Curry hill during Ironman Arizona 2012. For those of you that don't know what an Ironman is, it's a triathlon that covers 140.6 miles broken down into a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run. 

Ironman Arizona takes place in November every year here in Tempe. It's a glorious time of year and a beautiful course if you ask me. 

Anyways, back to the question.. Why do I have sponges in my AO top?.. Well some of you may be wondering, 'Why is he calling it an 'AO' top?Looks like she's wearing a sports top or bathing suit top if you ask me..'

Well, if that's what you are thinking you'd be right, it is a bathing suit top.. But the AO stands for Athlete Octane, and What is Athlete Octane?.. you might ask..  And I would say, Athlete Octane  is what got me through that 140.6 miles last year =] 

More specifically tho, Athlete Octane is a liquid endurance supplement that helps to reduce soreness, improve time to recovery and keep you going stronger, longer and harder than ever before. It's packed with antioxidants that help boost immunity and improve cellular functioning. I could go on and on about it but I won't. If you want to check it out for yourself visit the website at:


Or check out the Facebook page:

What I know about Athlete Octane personally is that it works.. It's just that simple. 

Now I still haven't gotten to the real question.. Why the sponges... Well, the simple answer for the sponges is that it's HOT in Arizona.. Even in November.. Yep.. Still hot and when the sponges are soaked in water they are cool.. And cool water is a soothing thing when you have just swam 2.4 miles and ridden your bike 112 and are now working on completing a marathon. 

But quite frankly, I have no idea why I left the sponges in my AO top that day... I kno I left them there on purpose.. I know I actually thought about taking them out.. To be totally honest tho, I don't really know what prompted me to leave them there.. A symbol of my sweat and tears? An added comfort to remind me of all my amazing friends that were out on the course to support me that day? A momento for all the miles that were finally behind me? I'm truly not sure..  it was probably more of a  superstitious  OCD tendency to not change what had already been established for fear of jinxing my race =]  Lame I kno.. But more than likely that was the case.

In any regard, with sponges in my top, and AO as my supplement.. I made it through another IRONMAN and am still around today to tell the tale. 

Thanks Athlete Octane for carrying me through and as for the sponges.. If you ever do an Ironman.. They are certainly the way to go.. Even if you don't know why you leave em attached to your top. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment