Sunday, November 25, 2012

Post race blues...

So Ironman is over... another year of training has come to an end. So what now?


IM is an event, it's a race it's a day to exhibit to our friends and loved ones all we are capable of and all that we had been working on during those long runs and rides that they all thought we were so crazy for going on in the first place. For me, it is the journey up to an IM that is the most significant. It builds relationships, gives direction and acts as an organizing principle for all other things in day to day life.
In this quite time of the aftermath, this time of slowing down, recovering and finding center I encourage you all to reflect on how IM worked for you in your lives.


Here's what I notice for me.. In this time post IM, as the winter (the little that we have of it here in AZ =) ) is coming upon us I am finding myself reflecting on what really matters to me. What do I value in my life? What role does training have in the greater picture of who I am as a person? What role do I want it to play next year? I am an athlete yes, but I am also a mother, an EMDR therapist, a daughter, a friend, an Octane rep and most importantly a spiritual being. All these roles make up who I am and when I sit quietly with myself and center a find a certain sense of calm, peace and acceptance for all that I have and all I have become in my life time and more specifically over the course of this past year.
I notice my thoughts as they pass in my mind bring me ideas of what I'd like to accomplish over the course of the next year. What I'd like to create in my life. I notice my thoughts reflect on what has worked and what has not worked for me this past year as well. As I wake up to the present moment and notice what is happening in my body and welcome and observe the thoughts that pass through my mind I find clarity on what matters to me in this life.

As you sit quietly with yourself and recenter, I trust you will find things that matter to you. The things that have worked for your over the course of this IM training and year and maybe even somethings that haven't worked so well.  As you awaken to these insights, welcome them. They will serve to help you as you set your plan for the year to come. It doesn't have to be an IM. It can be anything.

For me, I notice the more I allow and welcome what is happening within me to unfold, the feelings, the thoughts and the sensations the more readily the answers come about where to go next. I have felt feelings of sadness, loss, loneliness, gratitude, appreciation and joy all at the same time and at different times in this past week. They come like waves on the ocean. Never staying for too long but visiting nonetheless. Welcome them. They are part of your humanness.

As a final note... remember that more than likely you didn't do an IM because you hate physical activity =). Even if your body is still sore and you are still seeking clarity and direction on where to go next, it's ok to move. It's ok to get on your bike and go for a ride... just for the love of riding. It doesn't matter how long you go, where your heart rate happens to be or how many watts your putting out... just feel the wind in your face, let your legs turn over, allow your blood to flow and see if you can once again reconnect with why you thought swimming 2.4 miles, riding 112 and running a marathon all i the same day was a good idea to begin with. =)

Peace my friends..

I trust you will find what you need... just listen quietly... the answers are already there...

2 comments:

  1. Great blog!! Things that I am definitely feeling as well. Great writing!! So glad you started one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Appreciate your thoughts! I will keep writing =) Thank you for providing the inspiration!

      Delete